Congratulations to Katrina Sabahi, this year's winner of the OHCIA Health Care Interpreter of the Year Award!
The OHCIA Health Care Interpreter of the Year is an honorary award established in 2013 to recognize outstanding Oregon state qualified or certified health care interpreters for excellence in their profession.
Nominees must not only have attained Oregon state qualification or certification in their language(s) of interpretation, but they must also demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Professional demeanor
- On time to appointments
- Strong understanding of medical terminology, interpreter role, and health care interpreter ethics
- Skilled at interpreting in difficult scenarios
- Role model to other interpreters
- Care about the communities they serve
- Strong desire to learn more about the profession
- Genuine interest in patient's safety and health