Summer 2017: OHCIA 64-Hour Health Care Interpreter Training
Perfect for Both New and Experienced Interpreters!
THis 64-hour program, conveniently split into 8 workshops on saturdays, offers in-depth knowledge and practice for the health care interpreting profession.
why our training will help you succeed:
- Learn the essential knowledge and practical skills of interpreting
- Network and build community with other interpreters
- In-depth learning of ethics, standards of practice, and medical terminology
- Prepares you to become Oregon certified or qualified as a health care interpreter
- Build the skills needed to help your communities
- Discover how to find work and make money as an interpreter
- Meet companies who contract with interpreters at our job fair
- Practice challenging interpreting scenarios
- And much more!
Also, our course is Oregon Health Authority approved, and counts as continuing education through the Oregon Registry for the Deaf.
who our training is for:
- Motivated, life-long learners who want to help their communities
- FLUENT bilingual speakers (you must be fluent at an advanced level in English and in your target interpreting language(s) to enroll; simply knowing some of two languages is not sufficient).
- Any language is welcome, including American Sign Language! (The class is taught all in English with some language specific breakout activities).
The course is held in-person at the OHSU School of Nursing (3455 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd, Portland). Parking is free on the weekends.
costs and other details
The program costs $40 per 8-hour workshop (so $320 total for all 64 hours). This includes all education, a three ring binder with course materials, and free email and phone support for questions before and after the course.
This course is valued at $800, and we offer the discounted price as a service to interpreters.
All sales are final, no refunds. Missed, paid modules are transferable to future course offerings.
summer 2017 SCHEDULE
Introduction to Health Care Interpreting I - Saturday, July 8th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Introduction to Health Care Interpreting II - Saturday, July 15th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Health Care Interpreting Ethics - Saturday, July 22nd, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Medical Terminology for Interpreting I - Saturday, July 29th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Anatomy & Physiology for Interpreting - Saturday, August 5th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Advanced Health Care Interpreting Concepts - Saturday, August 12th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Logistics of Professional Interpretation and Job Fair - Saturday, August 19th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Medical Terminology II & Integrating Key Concepts - Saturday, August 26th, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
64 HRS HEALTH CARE INTERPRETER TRAINING REGISTRATION FORM